08 May 2006

Long and winding road


Yesterday was a day for driving. The weather was superb, the skies were mostly clear and my GTi beckoned for a spirited sprint to somewhere unfamiliar. So, I packed my Canon and took off.

Alas, more than I had a similar notion – if only in name, because most drivers I met were unfit of the term. They were more like zombies on Valium behind the steering wheels of their chariots. Regardless of the type of car, it was being driven at a lethargic crawl beyond yawning.

I started off on I95N and ended up on R202S. Now here was a piece of road made for driving. It was winding through hills, had a reasonable surface and was fairly free of too many snoozers. The GTi deftly dealt with those I did encounter. What sheer joy that car was when called to action. Given free reigns during an overtaking manoeuvre, it just gathered itself in 3rd gear and made for the horizon. A train of three cars was no sweat for it, if for the driver who had to hope nothing approaches from around that distant bend ahead, fast becoming the next reality. That 3rd gear just stretched on forever – the engine speed relentlessly climbing towards 6000rpm as the road speed heads for 145 km/h as if being pulled at the end of an infinite elastic band.

Came that corner and some s-bends to follow and the newly upgraded suspension showed its merit. Sure-footed this silver German pocket rocket came into its own and darted with disdain through the series of sweeps; as if it wanted to ask: Now is that all you can come up with?

At times the suspension was too harsh for some of the irregularities. I had overdone the rear damping and would have to take it back for some mellowing of the damping. But moderate bumps were perfectly controlled, if very clearly communicated. Severe bumps tended to introduce some skittishness from the hard damping and shorter wheel travel.

The superb control in S-bends as well as long curves made for an exceedingly satisfying driving experience along winding roads. Which in this case led me to the Winsor Dam off R9E. What a pleasant spot, if somewhat sterile due to the severe restrictions on access to public water supplies in the US.


There were some time for the flowers...

... and the bees.

And since no one brings me flowers anymore, I went out and found my own.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home