21 April 2006

80

One could ask how relevant is the Queen of the United Kingdom to a Stellenbosser in Boston, or why should the 80th birthday of Queen Elizabeth be noteworthy beyond the realm of Great Britain. I'll answer, not in giving a history lesson, for you can read that elsewhere, but in telling what Her Majesty means to me.

Queen Elizabeth is a powerful symbol and someone whom I greatly admire and respect. She's a graceful woman of great stature and Head of the British Commonwealth, of which South Africa is a member. Therefore, on a political level, even though South Africa is an independent republic, Queen Elizabeth is indirectly also my leader, for all members of the Commonwealth are sworn in allegance to one another as well as the Head of the Commonwealth.

On a historic level, South Africa has always had a special, if at times somewhat strained, relationship with Britain. In 1947, Princess Elizabeth visited South Africa with her parents. My mother had the honour as a young girl to watch the royal entourage pass through the streets of Cape Town. My mother, who was born in South Africa, then a dominion of the British Crown, still has fond memories of that day. My one ancestor, on my mother's side, came from Scotland to resettle in South Africa.

In 1995, Queen Elizabeth again visited South Africa after the release of Nelson Mandela and he, as President of South Africa, visited the Queen in Britain shortly after. Even through the years of political turmoil and strain, there had remained a strong tie between South Africa and Breat Britain. When the big change had come in my country, South Africa was welcomed back into the Commonwealth and all relations normalised.

On a personal level I can only speak of my admiration for Queen Elizabeth. She represents an ancient institution and does so most gracefully. She embodies for a significant majority the spirit of Britain, the values of Britain, the heritage of Britain. Across that country, even non-royalists admire her for what she is. I have high regards for the contributions of Britain to the rest of the world and especially to my country, South Africa, and for the statemanship of the Queen. Her Majesty is said to have a fine sense of humour, superb presence of mind and to keep herself informed on just about everything of any importance, including the lives of ordinary people.

The youngest of the Queen's sons, Prince Eduard, the Earl of Wessex, was born in the same year as I. From a young age, I have been aware of the Royal Family since my mother often spoke with fondness of the Queen and the Royal Family. As my mother ages with the years, I also take note of the aging of the Queen. Last weekend my mother had her 69th birthday. This Friday, at the start of this weekend, the Queen had her 80th birthday. An era is entering its twilight for both families.

On this past Wednesday, the Queen met with a number of people who were born in the same year as she. It was a wonderful gesture and enthrilled the lives of these old people. She called them her identical twins and wished them all a very happy birthday. How charming. That is what I call real class.

A very happy birthday, Your Majesty, and many memorable returns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home