20 January 2009

Let Freedom Ring

Today, I watched as America returned to her vows. The hope and joy of the occasion played on shining faces in the bitter cold of the Washington winter. A nation cheered as the world watched. I felt somehow proud of my Green Card. Suddenly, it represented something truly special, not just a back door to somewhere where one could still make a living. I felt inspired and contacted my American friends to congratulate them.

In many ways America has received her Nelson Mandela in the person of Barack Obama. I remember the expectation and uncertainty that surrounded the inauguration of Nelson Mandela as president of the Republic of South Africa on 26 April 1994. The long walk to freedom for America, which started with the declaration of independence finally has led to this day, today. In the depths of their current despair they will find new resolve to revive their founding principles, to remake themselves, to restore their dream. And in many ways that dream will become the dream of the world: Everyone can achieve his full measure of happiness.

"From every mountain side,
Let freedom ring!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home